Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

    toaster, but I wonder if I can really comply with the GPL even if I
    specifically intend to. Is providing the firmware C code for a device that
    cannot really be reprogrammed honestly complying with either the spirit or
    letter of the GNU public license?

I think so.  It is not your fault that a ROM is hard to modify.
The GPL says you mustn't put up legal barriers to modify the code.
It doesn't say you have to redesign your system to make it easy
to install a new program.