Re: as: unrecognized option `-c68020'

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Eric Smith wrote:

> Neil Youngman <n.youngman@videonetworks.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to build a cross-compiler to compile for a 68000 (m68k-aout)
> > on a linux host.  I've followed the instructions in the FAQ and it dies
> > while building libgcc with the message
> > 	"as: unrecognized option `-c68020'"
> >
> > According to the gas manual the correct option is -mc68020.  I've
> > grepped through everything in the source tree to try to find where the
> > string -c68020 comes from, but with no success.
>
> This seems to bite a lot of people, and the (somewhat unhelpful) answer
> given
> on the list is always "read the FAQ".  The FAQ does in fact state
>     Were GCC and Binutils configured with the same
> --prefix/--exec-prefix
>     arguments?
> but it never occurred to me that if I didn't explicitly specify the
> prefix option, that it wouldn't default to something reasonable.
>
> The problem is that when binutils is built for cross-development, the
> prefix defaults (correctly) to /usr/local.  However, GCC does not
> use the same default, so it is necessary to explicitly specify the
> prefix
> on configure's command line.
>
> For example, starting from a directory containing the tarballs, I use
> basically the following commands:
>
>   tar -xzf binutils-2.8.1.tar.gz
>   mkdir binutils-m68k-aout
>   cd binutils-m68k-aout
>   ../binutils-2.8.1/configure --target=m68k-aout --prefix=/usr/local
>   make
>
>   tar -xzf gcc-2.7.2.3.tar.gz
>   mkdir gcc-m68k-aout
>   cd gcc-m68k-aout
>   ../gcc-2.7.2.3/configure --target=m68k-aout --prefix=/usr/local
>   make LANGUAGES=c

there is one drawback with that...
if you start the compiler by typing
gcc -barchitecture
instead of
gcc-architecture-name
the hosts gcc driver will not find the compiler.

I usually use two links as a countermeasure for the problem
first
ln -s /usr/local/architecture-name /usr/architecture-name

and if gcc-architecture is installed in /usr/local you need
to add
ln -s /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/architecture /usr/lib/gcc-lib/architecture

works on my linux box with gcc2 and cygnus cdk for a29k-amd-udi and
m68k-coff.

cheers,
Rolf

|    _____        |  Rolf Fiedler                           |
|   / ___/        |  Electronic Design Engineer             |
|  / _/           |  Ferrari electronic GmbH                |
| /_/e/r/r/a/r/i/ |  phone: +49 3328 4559 0                 |
|   electronic    |  E-Mail: Rolf.Fiedler@Ferrari.DE        |
|                 |  fax  : +49 3328 4559 60                |
           "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"