Re: Some Bugs

   Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:28:08 -0500 (EST)
   From: Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>

   > Are you building in the source tree or in a separate directory?
   >
   > Secondly, newlib should be buildable by non GNU makes,
   > though one is required to build in the source tree if one
   > is not using GNU make.

   Sorry to disagree, but building in a SEPARATE directory with FreeBSD make
   does not work. I'll try it again before writing up the patch.

I'm trying to make sure we're on the same wavelength here.

If one builds in a separate directory (i.e. srcdir != .)
then one is required to use GNU make.  I'll reword the
FAQ to state this unequivocally (right now the FAQ says
if one is using a make that understands VPATH one can build
with srcdir != . --- SunOS make pretends to understand VPATH, but
not to the extent that makes it usable without an unacceptable effort, IMHO).