Re: Solaris2.5 cross to M68k

> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:56:57 -0600
> From: John Scheer <scheer-j@ti.com>
>
> I have spent alot of time trying to build an m68k cross compiler on
> a Sun running Solaris 2.5.  Some of the problems I've encountered are:
>
> 1) the gcc patch will not work with the Solaris patch binary.  I had
>    to get the GNU version of patch.

I've actually installed a lot of GNU tools as I've found them superior
to the native ones.

> 2) When I cross compile, I get a message back that the gnu-ld doesn't
>    like the -lc switch.  Actually, I think that it can't find a c library.
>    Anyone come across this before?

Yes, I found the same. Really it just couldn't find the C library. I
have it installed in the tooldir (/usr/local/m68k-coff in my config).

> 3) I am having trouble getting a good version of newlib.  Anyone know of
>    a site that works?

I am using newlib-1.7 which I got from cygnus: ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/newlib

You might also look at the crossgcc FAQ at
        ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/embedded/crossgcc/FAQ

> If anyone has been successful in doing an m68k cross on a Solaris 2.5
> Sparc platform, I would like to hear from you.  Also, has anyone done
> cross debugging with this setup?

I use the m68k cross every day. I built the same toolset for our various
host machines running Solaris 2.4, Solaris 2.5, SunOS 4.1, HPUX 9.
Actually I only built newlib once and just copied it around.
My toolset comprises:
        Compiler: GCC 2.7.2
        Assembler: GAS 2.6
        Linker: GLD 2.6
        Utilities: Binutils 2.6  (ar, strip etc)
        Debugger: Gdb 4.15.1
These aren't the most up-to-date versions, but they work for me.

I did do cross debugging some time ago using a serial line connection to
the target. There were a couple of stub files in the gdb package that I
had to include in my target code, plus a couple of simple functions to
drive the serial port.

--
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer, Primagraphics Limited
New Cambridge House, Litlington, nr.Royston, Herts, SG8 0SS, UK