Re: guile 1.6.4 a bit faster?

Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:

> It cost nothing to have the support.
> If it bitrots let me fix it.

That's not true.  It was costing something, because there were kludges
in CGEN to handle differing Scheme syntax supported by Guile and
Hobbit.  It also made the Makefiles slightly more complex and, at the
time, I opted to remove it for clarity.

> And the fun factor was just way too huge, which was the whole point
> of cgen.  After several miserable years on (pre-egcs) gcc, I
> desparately needed to rediscover a joy of hacking.

I don't disagree :-)

> The cynic in me wonders if there was some internal political reason
> for its removal.

Where have I heard that before?  No, it was just me trying to get my
head around CGEN at the time and the simpler, the better.

Ben