contemplating CGEN for VLIW architecture

I'm evaluating a possible port to a VLIW microsequencer (256 bit microword, 25 fields
per micro-instruction).

I guess the good news is that there's ONLY one instruction format :-)

Any experience out there with such a wide instruction?  I remember seeing some patches a while back
to deal with instruction formats >> 32 bits.

I guess I'm also wondering if I can build an assembler that looks more like an expression language,
viz something like

	REGA = REGB + REGC,  if R7 > R8 jump FAIL, REGZ=0x100;

where commas separate the various micro-ops, and the expressions are from the minimal set of + - ^ | &
separated by white space, etc.

Or is gas ONLY going to work with a traditional

	OPCODE	OPERANDS,....

style?

Regards,
Al Lehotsky

		    Quality Software Management
		http://home.earthlink.net/~qsmgmt
			apl@alum.mit.edu
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)808-6836 Cell
			(978)287-0436 Fax

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation