This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the CGEN project.
Re: "just in time" compiler/translator for the simulators.
- To: cgen at sources dot redhat dot com
- Subject: Re: "just in time" compiler/translator for the simulators.
- From: fche at redhat dot com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
- Date: 15 Sep 2001 14:43:56 -0400
- References: <Pine.GSO.4.33.0109151521580.7857-100000@night><20010915140753.A532.firstname.lastname@example.org>
: [...] another, slightly weirder approach is to scan your target
: programs insns and emit fully-specialized semantic C for those insns
: alone, and feed them into gcc, essentially pre-decoding and
: pre-extracting the entire set of functions used by your program
: alone. [...]
I actually built a working toy implementation of this sort of thing a
few years ago. It worked fairly well, demonstrating a number of
predictable down-sides, and a number of exciting possibilities.
I never completed the paper on it, but its last draft may be of
interest to you. If nothing else, it discusses various simulation
techniques, and it's fairly readable.
Get it while it's hot .. uhh ... stone cold. Limited time offer.