iostreams (was template bloat)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:04:18 +0200, Michael Bruck wrote:

>I know I have always negative examples ... but first thing I noticed when I
>tried to use the STL for embedded modules was that there are some
>places where it uses iostreams. (f.e. in the new operator). Thats why I
>had to modify (means remove) some things to work without them. I have
>not yet looked at the impact that it has on code size and placement.

What impact does iostreams (classic or STL) have on code size, as
compared to stdio? I'm sure most of us cut our teeth on printf and find
stream inserters to be difficult to get used to, but they have the
benefit of adapting to new types by defining an inserter for the new
type, and printf lacks a mechanism for automatically type-checking its
parameters and making sure the right number were passed. What cost must
we pay for the convenience of type-safety?

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.well.com/user/shiva/

http://www.e-scrub.com/cgi-bin/wpoison/wpoison.cgi (Death to Spam!)