Building MinGW version of Binutils for Cross-Compilation

For many years I have built various cross-compilation tools using Binutils,
and when I build on Linux or Cygwin the approach is the same - configure ;
make build install - all very straightforward.

However, I am often asked if I can build an equivalent version for Windows
in the same way that the MinGW tools are built, instead of having the
dependency on the Cygwin DLL.

But I don't know how to do this.

This is probably not the right forum to ask, so please point me in the right
direction.  But if it is the right forum, have you any advice on how I
should do this?

Thanks,

	MartinO