This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC] .fill does not accept forward labels
- From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- To: "Andreas Krebbel" <krebbel at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 05:43:01 -0600
- Subject: Re: [RFC] .fill does not accept forward labels
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>> On 06.10.17 at 13:25, <email@example.com> wrote:
> running gas on: (x86-64)
> .global _start
> .fill (2f-1f), 1, 0x90
> t.s: Assembler messages:
> t.s:3: Warning: symbol ".L21" undefined; zero assumed
> ... while it works fine with backward references. Other pseudo commands like
> .skip work for both.
> A quick hack fixes this for me without causing testsuite regressions on
> x86-64. However, the current
> code looks intentional to me. Does anybody know what the reason is for
> erroring out if the symbol
> isn't known yet?
If the label changes position during later processing (e.g. relaxation),
your fill range would end up being wrong.