This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k dot org>
- To: Petr Ovtchenkov <ptr at void-ptr dot info>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:16:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sep 20 2017, Petr Ovtchenkov <email@example.com> wrote:
> What is the meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits?
> I mean commits like f625a739e5.
It is used to name the shared libbfd and libopcodes, since there is no
> This commits litter commits tree and create problems for
> deterministic, bit-identical and/or verifiable builds.
Why is that a problem? The version is fixed for a particular source
Andreas Schwab, firstname.lastname@example.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."