This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PR22150, ld keeps a version reference for gc'd symbols
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at imgtec dot com>
- To: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:54:33 +0100
- Subject: Re: PR22150, ld keeps a version reference for gc'd symbols
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20170919050623.GC3694@bubble.grove.modra.org>
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017, Alan Modra wrote:
> elf_gc_sweep_symbol should run after verdefs are calculated, since
> the verdef code creates symbols for the versions. However,
> elf_gc_sweep_symbol needs to run before verrefs so as to not emit
> useless verrefs for symbols that are gc'd.
> I've also removed a _bfd_elf_link_renumber_dynsyms calls added by
> Maciej after I fussed about it when reviewing. On further examination
> the call appears to be unnecessary. Looking at renumber_dynsyms also
> made me realize that the test to exclude .gnu.version has been wrong
> since 2016-04-26 (git commit d5486c4372), so fix that too.
Thanks for following up with this seemingly never-ending story.