This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
[PATCH 0/4][MSP430] Improve behaviour of ".either" section placement
- From: Jozef Lawrynowicz <jozef dot l at somniumtech dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: diwil at spec dot ru, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:08:48 +0100
- Subject: [PATCH 0/4][MSP430] Improve behaviour of ".either" section placement
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
GCC for the MSP430 target has a feature that allows the user to specify
which memory region to place code and/or data in, using the -mcode-
region and -mdata-region options.
MSP430 devices with a high memory region support this placement of
code/data by defining ".upper" and ".lower" output sections in linker
The parameters that can be passed to -mcode/data-region are "none",
"upper", "lower", "either". The use of the "either" option requires some
work to be done by the linker, to place ".either" code and data sections
in either the upper or lower regions to prevent memory region overflow,
if possible. The following patches improve and fix some of the existing
behaviour of this ".either" placement functionality.