This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 2/6] Delegate opcodes to select disassembler in GDB
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at imgtec dot com>
- To: Yao Qi <qiyaoltc at gmail dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>, <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 01:18:50 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6] Delegate opcodes to select disassembler in GDB
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Tue, 16 May 2017, Yao Qi wrote:
> This patch removes the logic in GDB and calls
> opcodes/disassemble.c:disassembler in default to select disassembler.
This change causes an assertion failure when trying to disassemble a
(gdb) disassemble main
Dump of assembler code for function main:
.../gdb/arch-utils.c:979: internal-error: int default_print_insn(bfd_vma, disassemble_info*): Assertion `info->mach == bfd_get_mach (exec_bfd)' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n)
This is because `info->mach' is 16 (the `bfd_mach_mips16' aka `mips:16'
BFD) whereas `bfd_get_mach (exec_bfd)' is 33 (the `bfd_mach_mipsisa32r2'
aka `mips:isa32r2' BFD). This is expected for MIPS16 code within a
program that has been built for the MIPS32r2 ISA; see
`gdb_print_insn_mips' for the origin.
So what's the purpose of this assertion?