This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
[PATCH] readelf: Don't error on .debug files with NOBITS .dynamic section.
- From: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: nickc at redhat dot com, Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:50:30 +0100
- Subject: [PATCH] readelf: Don't error on .debug files with NOBITS .dynamic section.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
The fix for PR binutils/17512 added a check for the dynamic segment being
inside the actual ELF file. If not an error message would be produced:
readelf: Error: the dynamic segment offset + size exceeds the size of the file
Unfortunately for separate debuginfo files it is common for the dynamic
segment not being inside the file because the .dynamic section is NOBITS.
Since the check is done unconditionally in process_program_headers and
process_program_headers is always called (to setup dynamic_addr in case
it is needed). The error is produced on any operations done on any .debug
file (even if no program headers or the dynamic segment is used).
If there are section headers then a cross check is done to see if the
.dynamic section is NOBITS in which case dynamic_addr is set to zero
without a warning or error (which is then checked first before any
operation on the dynamic segement is done).
Move the check for the dynamic segment being inside the actual ELF file
after the cross check with the section headers to suppress the error for
* readelf.c (process_program_headers): Move dynamic_addr check
after .dynamic section cross check.
binutils/ChangeLog | 5 +++++
binutils/readelf.c | 16 ++++++++++------
2 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
diff --git a/binutils/readelf.c b/binutils/readelf.c
index ad65f07..8b1d924 100644
@@ -4997,12 +4997,6 @@ process_program_headers (FILE * file)
section in the DYNAMIC segment. */
dynamic_addr = segment->p_offset;
dynamic_size = segment->p_filesz;
- /* PR binutils/17512: Avoid corrupt dynamic section info in the segment. */
- if (dynamic_addr + dynamic_size >= current_file_size)
- error (_("the dynamic segment offset + size exceeds the size of the file\n"));
- dynamic_addr = dynamic_size = 0;
/* Try to locate the .dynamic section. If there is
a section header table, we can easily locate it. */
@@ -5037,6 +5031,16 @@ process_program_headers (FILE * file)
warn (_("the .dynamic section is not the first section"
" in the dynamic segment.\n"));
+ /* PR binutils/17512: Avoid corrupt dynamic section info in the
+ segment. Check this after matching against the section headers
+ so we don't warn on debuginfo file (which have NOBITS .dynamic
+ sections). */
+ if (dynamic_addr + dynamic_size >= current_file_size)
+ error (_("the dynamic segment offset + size exceeds the size of the file\n"));
+ dynamic_addr = dynamic_size = 0;