Re: version control policy

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:15:05 +0100
Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com> wrote:

> > On 08 Mar 2017, at 19:41, Petr Ovtchenkov <ptr@void-ptr.info> wrote:
> >
> > Good day!
> >
> > I want to understand aspects in version control policy.
> >
> > - What the principles of branches? I.e. what the relation between,
> >  say, master,   and gdb-7.12-branch?
>
> Branches are created from master.

Do you really see on commits graph?

Because binutils and gdb share repo and build infrastructure,
but has no clean code exchange between gdb/binutils branches,
what gdb will build when I make build from, say, e2e9a61f5b29 ?

Without bot

>> - Is bot's commits (like 40d57b1947) really useful?

the development process would be observed more clearly.

> >  What the relation between binutils-2_28-branch and published
> >  binutils 2.28, gdb-7.12-branch and published GDB 7.12.1?
>
> Published releases are created from branches.  Usually, there is also a tag on the commit for the
> release.

Well, gdb team set labels. Looks, that binutils team prefer branches instead.
And both teams push to master on daily development basis, right?

--

   - ptr