Re: Partial WebAssembly backend

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd like to announce a WebAssembly backend for the GNU toolchain
>> (binutils, gcc, glibc) that I've been working on for a while.
>
> Wow, this is fabulous!

Thank you!

>> I'd appreciate any questions, comments or advice, and in particular
>> I'd like to ask whether it is possible in theory to include this
>> backend in the standard GNU binutils distribution; some work would be
>> required on my end to do that, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort
>> if there is no chance of inclusion at the end of the process.
>
> Do you forsee any problems that would prevent it from being accepted
> and included?

Not really, no. I was mostly worried there might be a standing policy
against "making up" ELF architectures, and I'm no legal expert, but if
those two issues aren't a problem (for the binutils changes), I think
everything else is manageable.

> You have a copyright assignment on file for GCC and Emacs, but not for
> Binutils and GLIBC.  You will need to assign the copyright for those
> components to the FSF as well.

That's my intention.

> Because the definition of target environment has been expanding, the
> GNU Toolchain has been more accommodating in the ports that it
> accepts.  I don't see any fundamental reason to reject the port out of
> hand.

Thanks, that's precisely what I was hoping for.

> You will need to follow the normal process to submit the port to the
> various components.  Will you and others offer to maintain it?

I'm certainly offering to, and I'm willing to cooperate with anyone
else as long as the copyright assignment to the FSF doesn't constitute
a problem.

Thank you again,
Pip