This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH v2 RESEND] Document .Nbyte assembler directives
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Pierre Muller <pierre dot muller at ics-cnrs dot unistra dot fr>
- Cc: "'Tobin C. Harding'" <me at tobin dot cc>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:01:10 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 RESEND] Document .Nbyte assembler directives
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <58bdcef2.08d5540a.cbece.4744SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:04:20PM +0100, Pierre Muller wrote:
> is there any alignment done?
There is no simple answer. It depends on the target and the section.
Some targets align, but not for .eh_frame and debug sections.
Some targets align everywhere unless ".align 0" was the last .align
Given that they were invented for debug info, it would have been
better if they never aligned.
Australia Development Lab, IBM