This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Document .Nbyte assembler directives
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "Tobin C. Harding" <me at tobin dot cc>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:18:40 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document .Nbyte assembler directives
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:10:56AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> GAS contains directives .2byte .4byte and .8byte. These directives are
> used in the test suite but are undocumented.
However, not all versions of gas support these directives. You should
state that these directives are for ELF targets, the added
documentation should be inside @ifset ELF @end ifset, and the menu
under node Pseudo Ops needs updating.
> Add documentation to GAS section 'Assembler Directives' for each of
> I was not able to build work out how to build the docs locally. This
> is my first patch to binutils. Please advise if format of patch or
> patch content is not how the project likes it. Am happy to re-work to
> fit in with your standards.
It is always dangerous to post a patch you haven't tested, as
demonstrated by the unbalanced @ifclear in your patch..
You will need to install makeinfo and perl to build the docs, then
"make info". (There are other targets if you want to make pdf, dvi
etc. docs. See gas/doc/Makefile.)
Australia Development Lab, IBM