This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: BFD: 64 link map addresses for 32 bit target
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Denis Khalikov <d dot khalikov at partner dot samsung dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:54:41 +1030
- Subject: Re: BFD: 64 link map addresses for 32 bit target
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CGME20170223163318eucas1p2fa003db580bf22e1416c070408ba1c6d@eucas1p2.samsung.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 07:33:12PM +0300, Denis Khalikov wrote:
> Can someone please tell me is it normal behavior that output format depends
> not only from binutils target.
Yes. In the case of a link map file, you are seeing the addresses
that ld uses internally. When ld is compiled for a 64-bit host, or
supports a 64-bit target, the internal address will be 64 bits even if
linking for a 32-bit target. I think it would be a mistake to trim
addresses to 32 bits as that might hide a linker error that would
otherwise be revealed by looking at a link map.
Australia Development Lab, IBM