Re: ChangeLog rotation (or... eliminating ChangeLogs)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:11:11PM -0800, Cary Coutant wrote:
> What's the rationale for rotating ChangeLogs every year? To me, it's
> much simpler to have a single monolithic file -- especially
> considering that wildcard substitution puts the files in ascending
> order, while searching within a file returns results in descending
> order.

We haven't been using git for all that long.  With CVS, I believe that
any changed file is transmitted to the repository in entirety when
committing (and also for other operations).  Large frequently changed
files therefore created a network traffic problem on the server.
Locally too if you were on 300 baud dialup.  :)

So ChangeLogs were rotated when they became too big for comfort, and
later, annually.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM