This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Require GNU make to build binutils-gdb
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Simon Marchi <simon dot marchi at polymtl dot ca>, binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:33:35 +0000
- Subject: Re: Require GNU make to build binutils-gdb
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
> In gdb/, we are now making use of GNU make-specific features
> (in particular, pattern rules), so we now require building
> with GNU make.
> For simplicity and consistency, we were wondering if we should
> adopt the same policy for the whole binutils-gdb tree.
I think that this is a good idea, although maybe it would be
helpful to take a two stage approach: for one release (of
binutils) issue an error message if a non-GNU make is used,
but allow a configure option to override this. (In the same
way that obsolete targets are currently handled). Then for
the release after that make GNU make a hard requirement.
That way we give users a chance to give us feedback if they
are using a non-GNU make and they do not have the option of