This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFH: Annotating ELF binaries
- From: Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at oarcorp dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, "libc-help at sourceware dot org" <libc-help at sourceware dot org>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "devel at lists dot fedoraproject dot org" <devel at lists dot fedoraproject dot org>, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems dot org>
- Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 10:08:48 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFH: Annotating ELF binaries
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Great idea! I recall Ada toolsets annotating objects
long ago so there was a traceable record of how they
were compiled, what source file version, etc. That
all required closed source tools though.
Chris Johns from RTEMS has been investigating
add ELF annotations to RTEMS and Newlib to indicate which
standards a particular method adheres to. We think this
would assist in evaluating the conformance of a program
to various standards. It hasn't reached the point of
making a public proposal but the underlying idea of
leveraging ELF annotation is similar.
I have cc'ed him so he is aware of this. Perhaps there
is some synergy.
On 11/4/2016 10:02 AM, Nick Clifton wrote:
We (the tools team at Red Hat) are working on a project to add
annotations to ELF binaries, so that we can answer various questions
about them. We have set up a wiki page about the project here:
We would very much like this to be something more than just an
internal project, and so we are reaching out to you for your opinions,
suggestions and advice. If you are interested in being able answer
questions such as 'how was this function compiled ?' or 'is this
library compatible with this application ?' then please take a minute
to have a look at the proposal.
Thanks very much.
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D. Director of Research & Development
joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com On-Line Applications Research
Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS Huntsville AL 35806
Support Available (256) 722-9985