This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Deprecating and removing old targets
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at linux-mips dot org>
- To: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- Cc: binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 03:35:38 +0100 (BST)
- Subject: Re: Deprecating and removing old targets
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <C02C9961-F764-45D9-B9B8-B0575C0B1D78@adacore.com>
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> * all ecoff targets (alpha and mips)
The ECOFF format is used by some old MIPS firmware for bootable images.
People have usually been using a third-party `elf2ecoff' tool rather than
our `objcopy' to convert binaries, but I still think it makes sense to
keep support in BFD so that images already made can be examined or there's
an alternative conversion method available, in case of troubles or just
for general interest.
NB MIPS/ECOFF support has already been removed from GAS, LD and GDB, it's
just binutils/ that has it still retained. That makes it a tad of a
challenge of course to verify remaining support hasn't regressed.