Re: Broadcom XLP support

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 5:37 PM, ANDY KENNEDY <ANDY.KENNEDY@adtran.com> wrote:

> The addition of XLP to the new binutils came with the following comment:
>   /* XLP is mostly like XLR, with the prominent exception it is being
>      MIPS64R2.  */
> which may not be correct.  The kernel source includes Broadcom/Netlogic
> specific instructions that are not defined as a part of the XLR.  IIRC,
> the XLP is a superset of the XLR.

XLP is MIPS64r2, plus XLP-specific instructions.  Instruction-wise it is a superset of XLR, though the SOC machinery (the on-chip I/O devices) are quite different.  For one thing, the endianness rules of the SOC devices are different, as is the way you talk to the high speed devices like Ethernet.

	paul