This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] gas/arc: Allow --with-cpu configure option to change default cpu
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Andrew Burgess <andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Claudiu dot Zissulescu at synopsys dot com
- Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:49:16 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] gas/arc: Allow --with-cpu configure option to change default cpu
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1465319268-8131-1-git-send-email-andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <ba497073-2aa9-db20-e764-5d184138d171 at redhat dot com> <20160627184732 dot GA8823 at embecosm dot com>
> I see your concern here, however...
> If I move the option checking into ARC specific code, but still use
> AC_ARG_WITH to check for the argument then the help text will always
> show up for all targets. Due to our use of AC_DISABLE_OPTION_CHECKING
> all --with-XXX type options will be accepted by our configure script,
> and as you point out, when this does not work this might confuse
OK, fair point.
> What if I changed the current patch to simply remove the help text for
> the --with-cpu option?
Well the problem with that is that we now have a silent configuration
option which only those in the know (or who have actually read the source
code) will be able to use.
Instead - how about a compromise: We go with your original version of
the patch, but in the help text for the option we specifically mention
which targets support this option. (Ie just ARC for now, but extendable
later on to other targets if they want it).