This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- From: Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 20:38:17 +0200
- Subject: Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2D5A1F96-A731-4D41-9C77-FFB069F1115F at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOrExdme4V=oPPFV9_oMm-V69CS_y_=BBNUGrdkTy0evQQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160623005041 dot GC20200 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOrh5iafSfibFp4WtMSoGoREy+XByi77kFot6emXCJraiQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <576B718A dot 8020104 at ubuntu dot com> <CAMe9rOqyKENb3MH7J8kLhMNQWKshWBehbziL+KS+_x4Oi_NOyA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 23.06.2016 15:27, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Matthias Klose <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On 23.06.2016 05:41, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Alan Modra <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 02:36:09PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>>>> We should correct sonames:
>>>> What exactly is wrong with sonames? If you build with
>>>> development=true you get the date included in the soname, if not, you
>>>> don't. That seems good to me.
>>> It is fine for master, but not for release branch. On 2.26 branch, I got
>>> libbfd-184.108.40.20660614.so libbfd.so libopcodes.la
>>> libbfd.a libopcodes-220.127.116.1160614.so libopcodes.so
>>> libbfd.la libopcodes.a
>>> On release branch, we should change soname only when ABI is changed.
>> we don't do that by default, just the 2.26 release was made in development mode.
>> I don't mind if the soname changes to 2.26.1 for a point release. Plus in the
>> past distributions were also reminded to use their own soname for distro builds.
> On release branch, we should change soname only when ABI is changed
so how do we know when the ABI changes? In the past I saw build failures on the
branches for some architectures, and I'm then usually working around these by
building the new binutils with a binutils having a different soname for the
> and libraries from the same commit should have the same soname on all
impossible. You (upstream) are even recommending to change the soname for
distro builds. In any case, there is only a handful of packages which need
rebuilds if you change the soname. This is handled on the distro side.