This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- From: Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:46:58 +0200
- Subject: Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2D5A1F96-A731-4D41-9C77-FFB069F1115F at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOoHKGG7TK_STc6dPkMEE2TFyd=nRtMBXht68ojydq0R-g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsEOcMmZSVR_2qgw-MJa0c2WX5EthjjgRWobCBzyEUnFJQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOo0ad=z0TSGHK+t=CTMQWtVojDjvuSCoWxGTphYF3bBfw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsGR1TnbL83nObpb-N3mNS_6NKBda72CjrCuGZhAhJ5uAw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 21.06.2016 20:47, Cary Coutant wrote:
>>>> I propose to turn on "-z relro" by default if supported.
>>> Isn't it kind of late to be considering this for 2.27?
>> When is it not late?
> I was just thinking that Tristan had wanted to make the branch last
> week, and this seems like a major change to do at the last second. My
> only concern is it may require some time to shake out any issues.
>>> And doesn't GCC already pass -z relro by default anyway where it's supported?
>> However, -z relro has been enabled in Fedora since
> Ah, right. I forgot it was a distro thing. (That's at least an
> argument in your favor, showing there's less potential for
This also is enabled by default for Ubuntu since a few years, and Debian is
adding this flag to it's LDFLAGS for packaging (but packages need to reflect it).
> If you're going to make the change in ld, we should probably also make
> it in gold as well. I believe -z relro is fine on all targets
> supported by gold.
Is there any chance to support the -push-state and -pop-state flags in gold?
it's a bit annoying that these flags were not added to gold in the first place.