This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH, binutils/ARM] Fix feature checks based on arch value and force review of logic for new arch
- From: mickael guene <mickael dot guene at st dot com>
- To: Thomas Preudhomme <thomas dot preudhomme at foss dot arm dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:51:05 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, binutils/ARM] Fix feature checks based on arch value and force review of logic for new arch
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1877488 dot cBokx9mdiu at e108577-lin> <742ab9ce-f3db-7a1c-fdc3-3de53d43e92b at redhat dot com> <5375498 dot xPo8MUnC0p at e108577-lin>
I have some regressions with your patch for a toolset configured for
I have now veneers generated whereas previously they were not
This is due to the fact that using_thumb2() returns now 0 and
so triggers generation of veneers for branch offset between
THM_MAX_FWD_BRANCH_OFFSET and THM2_MAX_FWD_BRANCH_OFFSET.
These veneers are useless for armv6s-m architecture since
it has support for 32-bit BL.
I think a potential solution is to add a using_thumb2_bl() that
will return 1 for target that support 32-bit BL and use it
for veneer need detection.
What do you think of such a solution ?
On 06/14/2016 01:05 PM, Thomas Preudhomme wrote:
On Friday 03 June 2016 09:42:55 Nick Clifton wrote:
*** bfd/ChangeLog ***
2016-05-17 Thomas Preud'homme <email@example.com>
* elf32-arm.c (using_thumb_only): Force review of arch check logic
(using_thumb2): Try Tag_THUMB_ISA_use first and check
for exact arch value then. Force review of arch check logic for
(arch_has_arm_nop): Update and fix arch check logic. Force review
that logic for new architecture.
(elf32_arm_tls_relax): Use using_thumb2 instead of above function.
(elf32_arm_final_link_relocate): Likewise but using thumb2.
Approved - please apply.
Done, sorry for the delay.