This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH][x86_64] Convert indirect call via GOT to direct when possible
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Sriraman Tallam <tmsriram at google dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, David Li <davidxl at google dot com>
- Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:22:23 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][x86_64] Convert indirect call via GOT to direct when possible
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAAs8HmxxdBpS7w8udZgK0QFi5TnenU3wGhpPfhWeKE8Tr=thvA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOpk3aOK5mMkKvYQyzeQxJ-h8o+3KjLRikKSkLmMfqoUtg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAs8Hmw2KQ2neDNP5cnQPBVBZMJthvQGTARPiwa-NfAx5R6ugw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrOyYv0+svcObyaBcoYbAWZTadEPm-mAGQUFFyNjPgctg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAs8HmzoxWe2YpvjviV-bs2BRotGa_WFWbCyyLh-_L=s00yxjQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsF4h+e_Ey-fGxPXM0h8ZJ-SmSzyP9XoYaNuEOByJSm=1A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqzec-Nfi7BoJwkKacwOtZ3Vxb13HS9isqMgqbUKwxSFQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
>> 2. HJ, given an R_X86_64_GOTPCRELX relocation, is it still necessary
>> to check the opcode during Scan::global()? Doesn't the relocation
>> guarantee that it's an appropriate instruction for the transformation?
>> I think in both cases, we could skip fetching the section contents if
>> we have this relocation.
> Doesn't gold make different decision based on opcode, like
> branch vs non-branch?
Only during actual relocation, when we necessarily have the section
contents already available. During relocation scanning, it would be
nice to avoid reading the section contents.