This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: add vulcan support to gas
- From: Marcus Shawcroft <marcus dot shawcroft at gmail dot com>
- To: Syed Faisal Akber <faisal at akber dot net>
- Cc: Virendra Pathak <virendra dot pathak at broadcom dot com>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Virendra Kumar Pathak <kumarvir dot pathak at gmail dot com>, nickc at redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 00:28:58 +0100
- Subject: Re: add vulcan support to gas
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CANx+fTAsJtE27XTwVV8Cx9mZT4Nwn4eotTRNB1wf3yU0xqR5Mw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160607131026 dot 5525587 dot 57372 dot 96006 at akber dot net>
On 7 June 2016 at 14:10, Syed Faisal Akber <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
> Original Message
> From: Virendra Pathak
> Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 04:56
> To: email@example.com
> Cc: Virendra Kumar Pathak; firstname.lastname@example.org
> Subject: add vulcan support to gas
> Hi binutils group,
> We have a patch for adding -mcpu=vulcan support to gas.
> Broadcom's Vulcan is a armv8-a aarch64 served based processor.
> We have also got company wide FSF agreement for contributing to
> binutils project.
> However, recently I read on this group that now gcc does not pass
> -mcpu flag to binutils. GCC now passes -march flag to binutils.
> I verified this by compiling a simple hello world inspecting the
> assembler flags.
> Keeping this in mind, do we still need to add -mcpu=vulcan support to
> gas, given that many armv8-a vendors have done it?
> Kindly guide me on this.
> Please also find the patch (-mcpu=vulcan) attached with this mail for review.
Hi, The patch appears to be missing ?
> Tested the patch with aarch64-linux-gnu cross build,
> aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu native build and make check (ld,gdb,gas,binutils).
> Also verified the new option via command line.
> Thanks for your time.
> * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
> * doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name
The proposed changelog entry is missing the author line.
> with regards,
> Virendra Pathak