This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [committed, PATCH] Always create dynsym section with dynamic sections
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Faraz Shahbazker <faraz dot shahbazker at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:28:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: [committed, PATCH] Always create dynsym section with dynamic sections
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160223003208 dot GA30022 at intel dot com> <571A59A8 dot 4000700 at imgtec dot com> <CAMe9rOqr+E11vmpMV4Fo8Js_nCdsrcKpWKXQCUy+qSjjod=_hg at mail dot gmail dot com> <571A73BE dot 4000709 at imgtec dot com>
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Faraz Shahbazker
> On 04/22/2016 11:11 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> You need to find a different way to track it.
> My problem is not with the motivation, but the method. ->dynsymcount is
> initialized to 1 to account for the NULL symbol when an elf_link_hash_table
> is initialized. So while the table remains non-empty, any renumbering must
> still account for the NULL symbol, *irrespective* of whether on not dynamic
> sections were created. Either that or you move the initial NULL symbol
> counting from link_hash_table_init() to link_create_dynamic_sections().
> This change is causing a two-way dependence between creating a
> link_hash_table (an aspect of implementation) and having dynamic sections
> in the output (your ABI issue). You want indirectly ensure that the table
> is non-empty whenever dynamic sections are created. But do you also need to
> ensure that it is empty when dynamic sections are not created?
> Just to be clear, we're talking about the elf_link_hash_table
> (implementation), not the dynamic symbol table in the output ELF. The two
> may coincide for dynamic ELFs but not necessarily for static ones.
> Please consider:
> + if (dynsymcount != 0 || elf_hash_table (info)->dynamic_sections_created)
> + ++dynsymcount;
Are you saying dynamic_sections_created is 0 for MIPS here
and will become 1 later?