Re: Preventing preemption of 'protected' symbols in GNU ld 2.26 [aka should we revert the fix for 65248]

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:01:48AM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
>> To summarize: there is currently no testcase for a wrong-code issue
>> because there is no wrong-code issue.
>
> That depends entirely on how far you are willing to bend the ELF gABI.
>
> Any testcase the takes the address of a protected visibility variable
> defined in a shared library now can get the wrong answer, since you
> can argue that any address outside the shared library is wrong
> according to the gABI.

What value should you get when taking an address of a function
with protected visibility inside the shared library?  Should it be
pointed to the function body or its PLT entry in the executable
which calls the function?

--
H.J.