This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RE: [PATCH 1/6] gas/arc: Modify structure used to hold opcodes
- From: Claudiu Zissulescu <Claudiu dot Zissulescu at synopsys dot com>
- To: Andrew Burgess <andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "noamca at mellanox dot com" <noamca at mellanox dot com>, Francois Bedard <Francois dot Bedard at synopsys dot com>
- Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:08:13 +0000
- Subject: RE: [PATCH 1/6] gas/arc: Modify structure used to hold opcodes
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1459637470-30538-1-git-send-email-andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <098ECE41A0A6114BB2A07F1EC238DE896617CF7D at DE02WEMBXB dot internal dot synopsys dot com> <20160404090935 dot GD25615 at embecosm dot com> <098ECE41A0A6114BB2A07F1EC238DE896617D020 at DE02WEMBXB dot internal dot synopsys dot com> <20160407125045 dot GN25615 at embecosm dot com>
> Now I'm _adding_ extension instructions. If one of my extensions
> instructions happened to be an addition instruction that took 4
> registers, such that DST = SRC1 + SRC2 + SRC3, then this is clearly
> _not_ part of the core ARC700 architecture, but could live quite
> happily as an extension to ARC700.
My apologizes, I thought you would like to overwrite the current mnemonic syntax. I agree we can have extra syntax for cases which are like the one you pointed out.
> In the end I placed the comment into opcodes/arc-opc.c, at the head of
> the arc_opcodes table. I figured that anyone interested in adding new
> instructions would go there first, and any comment there was most
> likely to be found / read.
Please go ahead. I am waiting for your patches to be upstreamed, as I have three patches which I would like to upstream after your commit (support for .extInstruction pseudo-ops).