This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Preventing preemption of 'protected' symbols in GNU ld 2.26
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:40:05 -0700
- Subject: Re: Preventing preemption of 'protected' symbols in GNU ld 2.26
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <AB592ABD-D6D7-4D2F-A0D6-45738F168DC4 at apple dot com> <BEDD88C6-7F80-45DA-9021-10587244AAE5 at apple dot com> <CAMe9rOq6rmvH458nufzfZnnU_=_n1yysbLzERNy-LWvEmjmN1A at mail dot gmail dot com> <983472E1-A1BC-4970-9CF9-0138A6BAD16D at apple dot com> <CAMe9rOqTTwirymAY6ORp6D_GnCsMc_hYEdy1NbZpG6x5vQc5DQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <6AAD87D2-90F9-4AD7-A195-AC91B76EA6AE at apple dot com> <CAMe9rOqNcYnm1YocG-m7XNDE0g68YQAGe=ULP-G98gaatpxSeA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsHfT=cfb4kZysB2W_1HFfOq==TpP=wa47XPGB41MHmGyQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <56FB5061 dot 9010303 at redhat dot com>
> It would help me immensely on the GCC side if things if you and Alan could
> easily summarize correct behavior and the impact if we were to just revert
> HJ's change. A testcase would be amazingly helpful too.
It looks like it's not just the one change. There's this patch:
which took the idea that protected can still be pre-empted by a COPY
relocation and extended it to three more targets that use COPY
I wonder how many other patches have been based on the same misunderstanding?