This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Ping: [PATCH] gas: fix bogus error on .org involving expression
- From: "augustine dot sterling at gmail dot com" <augustine dot sterling at gmail dot com>
- To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- Cc: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp at bitrange dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 11:55:02 -0700
- Subject: Re: Ping: [PATCH] gas: fix bogus error on .org involving expression
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56D6DCAB02000078000D845A at prv-mh dot provo dot novell dot com> <56E99A7F02000078000DD4E5 at prv-mh dot provo dot novell dot com> <20160316234647 dot GA22605 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <56F11C3402000078000DF167 at prv-mh dot provo dot novell dot com>
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:
> 3) xtensa-elf setting TC_FINALIZE_SYMS_BEFORE_SIZE_SEG to 0
> causes the "invalid operands (.text.unlikely and .text.startup
> sections) for `-'" to not appear for elf/bad-group.s. Prior to the
> change this was detected as "operation combines symbols in
> different segments" from expr(), but the code change results in
> this error getting eliminated. It's not clear to me how to make
> sure the "finalize_syms" dependent "invalid operands" error from
> resolve_symbol_value() gets properly raised for such targets
> (nds32 appears to be the only other one, which my set of tested
> targets didn't include).
In the Xtensa port, the reason for setting
TC_FINALIZE_SYMS_BEFORE_SIZE_SEG to zero is lost to the mists of time.
Removing that setting creates no new failures in our testing. After
that, applying the patch in question doesn't create the new failure
you list above.
I'll commit a patch to stop setting it, and the Xtensa port has no
objection to this patch, and you shouldn't block on it.
(thanks to David Weatherford for additional testing.)