This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: the help about the symbols list by using nm
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: "Zhangwen (Esan)" <zwzhangwen dot zhang at huawei dot com>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:57:19 +0000
- Subject: Re: the help about the symbols list by using nm
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <F2AD730AE2E0D74BAEE20D4C1C6D02BD380139D7 at SZXEMA502-MBS dot china dot huawei dot com>
Thanks for the test case. (The attachment did make it through the first time).
I have now found the cause of the difference in behaviour. The 2.22 binutils
version of nm is using the default program "C" locale, whereas the 2.24 binutils
version is using the locale settings from your environment. The en_US.UTF-8 setting
that you have for LC_COLLATE ignores a leading period ('.') character so that the
.LC0 symbol is treated by binutils 2.24 as if it started with an 'L' character and
by the binutils 2.22 as if it started with a '.' character.
The reason for the change in behaviour is that there was a bug in the 2.22 sources.
The configure script did not check for the presence of the setlocale function in the
system libraries, and instead always marked it function as being unavailable. The
main function of nm looks like this (for both 2.22 and 2.24):
main (int argc, char **argv)
#if defined (HAVE_SETLOCALE) && defined (HAVE_LC_MESSAGES)
setlocale (LC_MESSAGES, "");
#if defined (HAVE_SETLOCALE)
setlocale (LC_CTYPE, "");
setlocale (LC_COLLATE, "");
But the bug in the configure script meant that setlocale (LC_COLLATE, "") was never
called. In 2012 however I checked in a patch that fixed this bug:
2012-04-05 Nick Clifton <email@example.com>
* configure.in (AC_CHECK_FUNCS): Add setlocale.
* aclocal.m4: Regenerate.
* config.in: Regenerate.
* configure: Regenerate.
So now nm's main knows that setlocale exists, and so it uses it to set the LC_COLLATE
locale. That is why the behaviour changed.
I hope that this explanation helps.