This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC PATCH, binutils] Add support for creating ELF import libraries
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas dot preudhomme at foss dot arm dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 13:35:26 +0000
- Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH, binutils] Add support for creating ELF import libraries
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <000001d15738$a73c3160$f5b49420$ at foss dot arm dot com>
> One convenient mechanism is to create a so called import library that application
> developers can link against. Such a library can already be created with objcopy
> --extract-symbol but this means it is done as a separate step than linking.
> This patch aims to add support in ld to create ELF import libraries at link time.
Why ? As you say this can already be done with objcopy. Why add code to the linker,
potentially creating new bugs, when there is an already existing mechanism that works ?