This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] msp430: Set DWARF2_ADDR_SIZE to 4
- From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb at redhat dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 23:24:20 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] msp430: Set DWARF2_ADDR_SIZE to 4
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160127151820 dot 6091d334 at pinnacle dot lan> <56AF3252 dot 90607 at redhat dot com>
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:24:18 +0000
Nick Clifton <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > msp430: Set DWARF2_ADDR_SIZE to 4.
> > This change makes gas's notion of the msp430 dwarf2 address size match
> > that of gcc and gdb.
> Hmm - will this change also affect the information in the .eh_frame
> section ? If so then maybe this function:
> bfd/elf32-msp430.c:elf32_msp430_eh_frame_address_size will need to
> be updated as well.
I tested GDB with the multilibs mentioned below, but I saw no change
in results when I made elf32_msp430_eh_frame_address_size() return 4
So... all I can say about this is that I don't know the answer.
> > Without this change, addresses in .debug_line are encoded in two bytes
> > for some multilibs. When GDB reads the address for
> > DW_LNE_set_address, it uses the pointer size provided by the CU. When
> > these values don't match, GDB reads the wrong number of bytes.
> Would it be possible to add a GAS test for this ? Or maybe a BINUTILS
> test instead ?
Maybe, but the problem is readily apparent when running the GDB tests.
> Did you regression test your patch ? With both the default and the
> -mlarge multilibs ? In fact since we are talking about debug
> information generation, please could you tell us what affect this
> patch has on the MSp430 GDB testsuite results ?
I tested binutils, gas, and gdb using the following multilibs:
I see no difference in the test results for either binutils or gas.
For gdb, there's no difference for the 2nd or 3rd multilibs. This is
to be expected though since the address size should be 4 for these
multilibs. (The results for the -mlarge multilib aren't especially
good, but nonetheless, they're identical before/after the patches that
The -mcpu=msp430 multilib shows a dramatic difference:
# of expected passes 10890
# of unexpected failures 5364
# of unexpected successes 1
# of expected failures 31
# of known failures 74
# of unresolved testcases 109
# of untested testcases 196
# of unsupported tests 260
# of expected passes 16599
# of unexpected failures 265
# of expected failures 29
# of unknown successes 1
# of known failures 54
# of unresolved testcases 8
# of untested testcases 197
# of unsupported tests 262
Basically, when run without the patch under consideration, GDB is
unable to read the .debug_line section(s). It records no line
numbers, which in turn causes GDB to display what it can sans line
numbers. There are (obviously) more than a few GDB tests which expect
a line number to be present in GDB's output.
I should note that in addition to the tests which I recently performed
using a toolchain built with recent upstream sources, we have been
using this patch in our Red Hat internal sources for the msp430-elf
toolchain since July, 2015.