This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped, take 2
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k dot org>, David Howells <dhowells at redhat dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 05:42:34 -0800
- Subject: Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped, take 2
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20428 dot 1420542531 at warthog dot procyon dot org dot uk> <25281 dot 1454021771 at warthog dot procyon dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOoZ7PL28NfHoR4azfwQgixg+7y7ykcOg24pvBEiLc6kuA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160128231538 dot GF14840 at vapier dot lan> <CAMe9rOqNC4F7VuCMRMsjWEmafnbU82tmvd1ehc7pLnRzLbBshg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87d1skacrs dot fsf at igel dot home> <20160129114033 dot GC23479 at adacore dot com> <878u38a6gx dot fsf at igel dot home> <20160129133729 dot GA3955 at adacore dot com>
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Joel Brobecker <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > Which release tags do you have in mind, and what do we need to do
>> > to fix them?
>> Just make them annotated instead of lightweight (see git-tag(1)). Even
>> better if they are signed.
> GDB release tags have been both annotated and signed ever since
> someone (was it you?) asked me about it.
> AFAICT, Binutils release tags are also annotated (but not signed).
> You'll need to be more precise about what's still not working
> for you. In particular, I don't think the signing makes any difference
> to git-describe.
My concerns are
1. Someone downloads a tar ball and builds it. "ld --version" should
be able to
tell at least the date when the tar ball was made.
2. Someone checks out a branch, makes some changes, checks into his/her
branch and builds it, "ld --version" should be able to tell the date
when the branch