This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 0/5] Add support for R_386_GOT32X/R_X86_64_[REX_]GOTPCRELX
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Rafael EspÃndola <rafael dot espindola at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 08:23:25 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] Add support for R_386_GOT32X/R_X86_64_[REX_]GOTPCRELX
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1445514099-20925-1-git-send-email-hjl dot tools at gmail dot com> <CAG3jReK+ViY071FL1EMKh5uqLydvDUgQjKL7EM--a1G23gof-g at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Rafael EspÃndola
> Hi H.J. Lu,
> Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but could you explain why we
> need these new relocations? Is it just to move work from the linker to
> the assembler or there was some correctness issue optimizing a plain
They are used to convert memory operand of test and binop into
immediate operand, where binop is one of adc, add, and, cmp, or,
sbb, sub, xor instructions, when position-independent code is disabled.
The new relocation tells linker that it should try such optimization
since binop is one of mentioned above.