This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Release 2.26 - Next week ?
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 05:26:09 -0800
- Subject: Re: Release 2.26 - Next week ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <C25FDD18-CD84-4630-9BCD-4B5E5CB057D6 at adacore dot com> <568FF162 dot 5000801 at ubuntu dot com> <828FEF00-284A-48C3-9395-2295167002EA at adacore dot com> <20160113010412 dot GB1270 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOpPPFuAwR-vif32KvDnjHRy5p4ushrvhrVso43681E+3Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160113015844 dot GC1270 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOqyLdTz5FiiMVTukDnQwby+Kx_wzmHtWtNu6n3ZOXfEDA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160113034534 dot GD1270 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOrOaGWKS7me-v8AqUPKpKg=JxHcFdePBFPVtOEkKXGiuw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160113061824 dot GE1270 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Alan Modra <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:08:33PM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Is __crc_TOC exported? If not, should it be exported? Is it referenced
>> by kernel modules? If not, why does it matter?
> When CONFIG_MODVERSONS is enabled, kernel symbols exported for modules
> have an associated CRC. As part of the kernel build process,
> __crc_<symbol> is used to set up a "__versions" section containing a
> table of (CRC,symbol) pairs. Without __crc_TOC. present, no
> __versions entry is set up for ".TOC.", and so modules that reference
> ".TOC." fail the CRC check that is supposed to ensure that a module
> matches the running kernel.
> Arguably, it is a kernel bug for __crc_TOC. to be undefined and of
> value zero, but that's beside the point. The kernel build process
> worked before, and as PR19421 illustrates the mere presense of an
> undefined symbol conveys information. Removing them may break more
> than just the ppc64le Linux kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS on and
> CONFIG_RELOCATABLE off.
My x86-64 kernel has
# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
Will I see the problem if I turn on CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and turn
> The important question is: Was PR4317 just cosmetic?
I don't remember what triggered me to open the bug.