Re: New failures from extract symbols test

Hi Nick,
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 09:13:42AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
>   I am seeing some new linker testsuite failures from the extract
>   symbols test.  The targets that are failing are:
>
>  arm-epoc-pe
>  arm-wince-pe
>  i586-aout
>  i686-pc-cygwin
>  i686-pc-mingw32
>  mcore-pe
>  mingw32-pe
>  mips-elf
>  mips64-linux
>  mips64vrel-elf
>  mipsel-linux-gnu
>  mipsisa32el-linux
>  mmix-mmixware
>  ns32k-netbsd
>  sh-pe
>  tx39-elf
>  x86_64-pc-cygwin

Yes, I'd noticed.  I haven't looked properly into any of the failures
yet.  The i586-aout fail is just not meeting the zero size section
test.  That may not matter much.  The others all show deficiencies in
real-world use of "objcopy --extract-symbol".  We didn't see them
before due to not running any test of the option on anything but ELF
targets, and the old extract-symbol test didn't fail on MIPS due to
removing .reginfo.  When it is present we get a zero size .reginfo
which results in a warning from nm (well, bfd really) "don't know how
to handle processor specific section `.reginfo' [0x70000006]".

So objcopy hasn't gotten worse, we're just sweeping less under the
rug.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM