Re: Adding static-PIE support to binutils

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:34:45PM -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> > This is OK to commit with a suitable ChangeLog.  I think a separate ld
> > option is best too, because historically -static and its aliases
> > -Bstatic, -dn, -non_shared really are about what type of libraries are
> > accepted rather than choosing linker output type.
>
> Gold actually separates these concepts: -Bstatic/-dn and -Bdynamic/-dy
> are about what kinds of libraries to search for, while -static and
> -shared/-Bshareable/-G determine what kind of output to produce.

Does static pie (ET_DYN with non-fixed load address, _DYNAMIC
relocations, but no PT_INTERP, DT_NEEDEDs, or symbolic relocations)
currently work with gold? If so, what is the way to request it? I
would say it would make sense to try to do things the same, but from
what you're saying it sounds like gold already significantly
mismatches the bfd linker behavior...?

Rich