Adding a new architecture to the bfd build process

Hi,

I'm (trying to) port a new architecture to binutils.
I've found this walkthrough online :
https://sourceware.org/binutils/binutils-porting-guide.txt
Walkthrough starts with BFD, so that's where I am right now. I've also
read the documentation in bfd/doc (well... I've read BFD Internals
anyway).

For some reason, I cannot for the life of me add this new architecture
to the build process. I know because the repository still compiles
without errors. I've added my machine specific stuff to targets.c,
config.bfd, and Makefile.am.

After I couldn't get autotools to agree on what was the right version
to use I ended up just editing the Makefile.in but that still didn't
seem to do it (although the Makefile in my build directory now
includes my added targets and sources, but that's not surprising).

Is there a standard guide to adding a new architecture to the bfd build process?

--
Max Ruttenberg,
Member of the Technical Staff