RE: [RFC][MIPS] What to do about DT_MIPS_RLD_MAP and PIE

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, Matthew Fortune wrote:
>
> > OK, unless anyone objects I will prepare patches on that basis.
> >
> > It looks like there are no GNU tags defined yet in the 'new'
> > OS range for tags. Should I just take the first one?
> >
> > #define DT_GNU_RLD_MAP 0x6000000d
>
>  That would be the natural choice in my opinion unless someone already
> uses it for something in a private tree or branch and did not mention it
> so far, but plans to submit their code.  I think we shouldn't be causing
> hassle to anyone unnecessarily.  Do we have a place (other than the
> relevant pieces of source code) we use to document our (GNU) ABI
> conventions?

One concern is over what the GNU ABI encompasses. I.e. We have glibc, uclibc
musl and bionic (that I know of) which provide dynamic linker functionality
with the linux kernel. If they are independently allowed to define tags then
there is a high chance of collision and bugs from accidentally getting a linker
to target the wrong 'OS'.

So do we have to take the 'GNU' OS to mean anything which provides dynamic
linking on linux? Is there already a description of what it means and/or can
someone think of a sensible description?

In some ways doing this as an architecture independent extension may actually
require specifying it in the ELF ABI itself.

Thanks,
Matthew