Re: vulnerabilities in libbfd (CVE-2014-beats-me)

On 10/31/2014 03:22 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
My idea was simply like the above suggestion. Run the elfutils testsuite
on fuzzed input under valgrind. The valgrind part is already integrated
in the testsuite. Or build the library with the GCC sanitizers. I
haven't found any issues with the address sanitizer, probably because
all those issues were already caught by valgrind.

Actually I'd recommend running both: sanitizers can detect overflows in stack/global variables and use-after-return errors but Valgrind is able to catch overflows inside precompiled libraries (say glibc).

If people haven't yet, then I would highly recommend upgrading to GCC
4.8 or 4.9 and play with adding -fsanitize flags to CFLAGS and see what
falls out.

Or even 5.0 - sanitizers are constantly improved. One thing to watch out is that some safety checks are not enabled by default (like e.g. use-after-return detections).

-Y