Re: GAS .fpu directive

On 20 August 2014 17:51, Peter Bergner <bergner@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> I also forgot about GCC's function specific optimization support
> which would require this:
>
>   https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FunctionSpecificOpt

So, ARCH, CPU and FPU options are not monotonic crescent (ex. this is
not necessarily true in all contexts: a7 < a8 < a9 < a15) and extra
flags (like +neon, +crypto, +d16) make it a multi-axis vector space.
How do you choose the value for the appropriate build attributes in
this case and avoid linking unsupported libraries?

Maybe Intel's cores and SSE/AVX is indeed sequentially linear in
implementation? Does Intel deprecate anything at all?

Anyway, that's probably much more of an ARM problem than a compiler
problem, and that might, indeed, be the reason why I won't be able to
kill that "feature" in LLVM's IAS. Damn! :)

cheers,
--renato

PS: Should this usage and semantics be documented somewhere in
binutils' wiki/docs?