Re: [patch, libtool] Patch libtool.m4 at top-level for autoconf 2.68

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:18:06AM -0700, Steve Ellcey  wrote:
> >
> > I submitted a patch to GCC to update libtool.m4 in the top-level GCC and
> > binutils trees with some changes that are in the upstream libtool.m4.  It
> > fixes some warnings that we get when using autoconf 2.68 which is currently
> > used in libgloss and newlib.  If it is approved in GCC is it OK to check it
> > in to the binutils tree as well?
>
> That may even happen automatically, but if not, yes you can commit
> this sort of patch to binutils.  I also want to import current
> upstream libtool.m4 into gcc..

There is no automatic merging at toplevel, only for certain subdirectories
(because of a lack of consensus on making GCC the master for all the
shared toplevel files).  Right now, in fact, GCC's config.sub and
config.guess are out of date relative to src - someone should probably
update both those files in both repositories to the current versions from
config.git.

Regarding updating libtool.m4, I think there were supposed to be issues
with libtool's notion of sysroots conflicting with GCC's, mentioned in
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-01/msg02037.html> and apparently
addressable by reverting libtool's commit
3334f7ed5851ef1e96b052f2984c4acdbf39e20c when importing a newer version.
GCC / src could definitely do with a general configury update - not just
importing current libtool files, but also updating versions of autoconf
and automake used to current releases and fixing any issues arising from
that; the current versions used are pretty old by now.  (On which note,
the next release of autoconf will warn about use of the obsolete
configure.in filename, and the src repository still has a lot of such
files that haven't been renamed to configure.ac.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com