Binutils configure problem on windows (sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `C')

Hello. Hopefully this is the right place to ask about this. I'm trying to run the binutil configure script from the MinGW shell so I can build binutils under win7 but I'm hitting a snag with sed.exe. Here is the output:

Kim@Kim-PC /c/binutils-2.23.2
$ ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... no, using cp -p
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /mingw/bin/sed
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking for gnatmake... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... tail +16c $$f1 > tmp-foo1; tail
+16c $$f2 > tmp-foo2; cmp tmp-foo1 tmp-foo2
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for PWL_handle_timeout in -lpwl... no
checking for version 0.11 (revision 0 or later) of PPL... no
checking for default BUILD_CONFIG...
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for bison... bison
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... m4
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... flex
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for expect... no
checking for runtest... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for ld... ld
checking for lipo... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for windres... windres
checking for windmc... windmc
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for readelf... readelf
checking for cc... cc
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... g++
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for gcj... no
checking for gfortran... no
checking for gccgo... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for ld... ld
checking for lipo... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for readelf... readelf
checking for strip... strip
checking for windres... windres
checking for windmc... windmc
checking where to find the target ar... just compiled
checking where to find the target as... just compiled
checking where to find the target cc... host tool
checking where to find the target c++... host tool
checking where to find the target c++ for libstdc++... host tool
checking where to find the target dlltool... just compiled
checking where to find the target gcc... host tool
checking where to find the target gcj... host tool
checking where to find the target gfortran... host tool
checking where to find the target gccgo... host tool
checking where to find the target ld... just compiled
checking where to find the target lipo... host tool
checking where to find the target nm... just compiled
checking where to find the target objdump... just compiled
checking where to find the target ranlib... just compiled
checking where to find the target readelf... just compiled
checking where to find the target strip... just compiled
checking where to find the target windres... just compiled
checking where to find the target windmc... just compiled
checking whether -fkeep-inline-functions is supported... yes
C:\MinGW\bin\sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `C'
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
gawk: ./confvtGsFH/subs.awk:20: S["FLAGS_FOR_TARGET"]=" -L$$r/$(TARGET_SUBDIR)/w insup/mingw -L$$r/$(TARGET_SUBDIR)/winsup/w32api/lib -isystem $$s/winsup/mingw/i
nclude -isystem $$s/winsup/w32api/include -"\
gawk: ./confvtGsFH/subs.awk:20:

^ backslash not last character on li
ne
C:\MinGW\bin\sed.exe: couldn't write 20 items to stdout: Invalid argument
config.status: error: could not create Makefile
C:\MinGW\bin\sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `C'